[mythtv-users] 800 MHz P3 for HDTV

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 01:48:45 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/03/2007 04:39 PM, stan wrote:
>> It seems if the display card is doing all the decoding work, than all the
>> cpu needs to do is move 8 GB of data per hour to the video card.
>
> XvMC isn't decoding--it's simply doing some of the math on the video
> card, rather than doing all the math and all the rest of decoding on the
> CPU.
>
> Mike

Ding ding ding, if there *was* a video card that did full decoding you
could resurrect that old Celeron 433 doorstop (come on we've *all* got
one or two and there's only so many firewalls you can usefully have) as
a quasi-asymmetric multiprocessor High Definition Home Theater Personal
Computer (QASMP-HD-HTPC, thats a mouthful) which would save lodes of
money and the environment along with making the manufacturer of the
video~decoder~gpu~cpu AGP riser-card type thing, a fortune.