[mythtv-users] 800 MHz P3 for HDTV

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 03:09:09 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:48 PM, Bob wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> XvMC isn't decoding--it's simply doing some of the math on the video
>>> card, rather than doing all the math and all the rest of decoding
>>> on the
>>> CPU.
>>>
>>> Mike
>> Ding ding ding, if there *was* a video card that did full decoding you
>> could resurrect that old Celeron 433 doorstop (come on we've *all* got
>> one or two and there's only so many firewalls you can usefully
>> have) as
>> a quasi-asymmetric multiprocessor High Definition Home Theater
>> Personal
>> Computer (QASMP-HD-HTPC, thats a mouthful) which would save lodes of
>> money and the environment along with making the manufacturer of the
>> video~decoder~gpu~cpu AGP riser-card type thing, a fortune.
>
> There *are* chips that actually do full decoding, Magic Eyes comes to
> mind, and it allows my 200Mhz ARM-based (no MMU or even FPU) GP2X to
> do a decent job of playback, even driving a full-sized TV set, not
> that this will help Myth users in the forseeable future though.

But only at 800x600 right? Also if you were building one for a PC you'd
want to make it a bit more general so it can be programed to do future
codecs this would also allow the manufacturer to avoid having to pay
license fees on various codecs by not shipping it with the ability to
play anything other than free ones and letting the OS community write
any other stuff they want.

I'm *so* tempted by a GP2X, GP32 or a Pepper Pad, can you plug a USB
keyboard, mouse, thumbdrive into the GP2X and use it as a laptop type
thing?  Does your comment mean it has non-free drivers? In a perfect
world I'd like one with Mini-DVI and S/PDIF ports so it could be a
proper (although underpowered) mobile PC.