[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.20-svn + pvr-350 + x-out on ubuntu feisty

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sun Mar 4 14:07:20 UTC 2007

hi folks,

for over a year i've been running mythtv 0.18 with few problems under
ubuntu breezy, using a cheap old dell and a hauppauge pvr-350
capture/tv-out card.  but becausee so many of my friends and family want
me to 'tape a show' for them, i decided to try and take advantage ofhte
new myth-archive plugin which is standard with mythtv-0.20, and is
included since edgy.  since the ivtv drivers are included by default
with feisty, i decided to upgrade all the way to feisty.

since my family hates it when i break things, i cloned the root
partition using rsync and then upgraded in stages
breezy=dapper-edgy-feisty.  this seemed to go well, i rebooted into the
new system and... things MOStLY worked.  mythbackend runs, but i can't
get X to display on the pvr-350 tv-out anymore.  i have redownloaded the
x-driver and firmware for ivtv, and the modules load fine; moreover
there aren't any error messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.   ps aux also
reports that mythfrontend is running under the minimal window manager
evilwm, which is all as it should be; but in actuality the x session is
not being displayed on any screen, neither the monitor plugged in to my
vga out nor on the tv-screen through the pvr-350 (which is where i want
it to go).  i'm not really sure exactly how to debug this further,
except to give my xorg.conf and my .xsession and ask for help.

so here's /home/mythtv/.xsession, which autoloads when gdm starts up
(though i tend to think this can't be the problem, as i never see the
gdm screen on any display, even if i kill mythfrontend and thus bring
the mythtv session to a close) :
-------
#!/bin/bash
# Merge X resources from ~/.Xdefaults
[ -f $HOME/.Xdefaults ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xdefaults

# Set the background and root cursor shape
xsetroot -solid \#400040

# Start evilwm - snap to borders within 10 pixels
/usr/bin/evilwm -snap 6 -bw 0 &
wmpid=$!

/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s noblank &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms &

exec mythfrontend -l ~/.mythfrontend.log

# when the window manager exits, allow the X server to be torn down
wait $wmpid

-------------------------------------

and here's the whole of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (doubtless some of it is
superfluous, sorry...
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        # paths to defoma fonts
        FontPath
"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

# add this as the first ServerLayout if you want it load automatically
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "TV"
Screen 0 "TV"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Hauppauge PVR350"
Driver "ivtvdev"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
# Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
BusID "0:13:0" # this is the PCI ID you got earlier.
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
          Identifier  "NTSC Monitor"
          HorizSync  30-68
          VertRefresh 50-120
          Mode "720x480"
            # D: 34.563 MHz, H: 37.244 kHz, V: 73.897 Hz
            DotClock 34.564
            HTimings 720 752 840 928
            VTimings 480 484 488 504
            Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
          EndMode
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "TV"
Device "Hauppauge PVR350"
Monitor "NTSC Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
DefaultFbbpp 32
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
FbBpp 32
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "VGA"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

---
I don't see anything obvious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
or /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log .  if anyone has any hints as to
where my x-session has gone, i would be VERY grateful!

thanks,

matt

--
Matt Price