[mythtv-users] How to Upgrade from FC4 MythTV 0.17?

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 18:52:04 UTC 2007

I have been working on this particular upgrade (from FC4 to FC6) for
over a week, and here are my thoughts:

Go through Jarod's guide and back up all the files that you modified.
Don't forget lircd files.

- Use mysqldump to backup your mythconverg database. You can restore
it after it is created on the new OS (after that step in Jarod's
guide) as follows:
1. Run mythsetup
2. Exit without entering anything
3. Restore mythconverg database using mysqldump
4. Run mythsetup and check your settings. I had to add the capture
cards and inputs, I think that's about it. All my channels, zap2it
account, etc. were preserved, as well as my program schedule and
recordings.

Now, here's the bad news for me: Because I use a PVR-350 with TV out,
and I have been having a horrible time getting this to work with the
latest FC6 kernel and related modules, I am working on a downgrade. As
I said, I have been fighting with this a week, and I think that a
MythTV on the last FC4 kernel is better than a broken one on FC6.
Trust me, I have scoured the Internet and tried all the suggested
fixes. As with you, my only reason for upgrading was to get up to
date, and I have paid the price for not listening to "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it." Hopefully you will have a better experience with
your output card. At least I learned some stuff about Linux along the
way.

Fred