[mythtv-users] Writing a dual layer DVD+R DL disk

Mark Smith mark at chez-moi.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 20:42:30 UTC 2007

In message <c841f4d10703040836l13d59243s27d200911ddfda15 at mail.gmail.com>
          "jason maxwell" <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:

> its possible that data flow cant keep up with the speed of the writer.
> you can pass cdrecord options thru growisofs.

I can see I can pass mkisofs options through growisofs, though not cdrecord
options so far as I can see. Attempting to specify a -dummy option results in
it complaining about not being able to use '=' with mkisofs options. I
suspect it believes that any options it doesn't recognise are to be passed to
mkisofs but that is incompatible with my specifying a prebuilt image.

I've tried the -dry-run option on growisofs but that seems to do very little
- it certainly doesn't go through the entire writing process with the laser
switched off.

Also, my specifying -speed=1 seemed to make no difference - it went back to
writing at 2.5x speed, which may be the issue as the media is only rated at
2.4x speed. The really odd thing is that dvd+rw-mediainfo indicates the drive
is capable of 6.1x, 5.1x, 4.1x, 3.1x, 2.0x and 1.0x write speeds, yet
growisofs claimed it was writing at 2.5x speed.

If I could get it to slow down I might have more success. I'm beginning to
believe that I might be better off using something other than growisofs, but
the version of cdrecord that I have can't do DVD+.

--
Mark Smith - Surrey, UK
http://www.chez-moi.org.uk/