[mythtv-users] DirecTV (and MythTV)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Mar 4 22:53:54 UTC 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 2:44 PM, Benjamin Podoll wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will preface my question with this: I am a DirecTV customer that has
> three DirecTV Tivo Series 2 R10 systems. I have been using these
> systems for a few years and have also upgraded them (they each have
> dual 300 GB disks). So, as of now, I am happy with DirecTV and with my
> DVRs, they have plenty of space and I am able to record 2 shows at
> once on each of the 3 systems. But... I want more.
>
> The DirecTV systems are not networked, that sucks, hence I can't share
> recorded shows with each system and I am dependant on each particular
> system for the schedule and reliability of the recorded shows. I have
> many digital images and videos from my cameras, as well as a bunch of
> MP3s that I would like to have access to as well. I also would like to
> have my shows backed up. I would like access via the web to my DVR
> schedules and the like... As far as I can tell MythTV offers these
> features.
>
> But my problem now is finding info on how I can stay with DirecTV and
> also build a MythTV system that works reliably. I run Ubuntu Linux on
> a few machines at home and have found "howtos" on Ubuntu and MythTV
> which is great.
>
> But can someone shed some light on the DirecTV/MythTV question?

I ditched my dual-tiner DirecTivo in favor of 2 D11 boxes and two
Hauppauge PVR cards. Of course you can record up to 2 channels at a
time which would be much more expensive to replicate. You'd need 3
PVR-500's and 6 D11's. It would be more difficult to get working, but
you could feasibly just get the 6 PVR cards (or 3 PVR-500's) and
serial blaster to control each tuner of the DirecTivo boxes to switch
channels correctly. I don't have any experience with this, but I
imagine it would be a lot of trial and error making sure the correct
tuner is changed and the correct PVR is used for the recording on a
dual-tuner box.