[mythtv-users] Writing a dual layer DVD+R DL disk

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 23:34:57 UTC 2007

On 3/4/07, Mark Smith <mark at chez-moi.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <C9326B88-B7B7-41DA-B671-E449982EF099 at beww.org>
>           Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
> > Lots of info on this available on the net, might start here:
> >
> > http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/idecdr/
> >
> > Ultimately I think the  drive will show up as /dev/scda once you set
> > it up.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > But you should be able to get direct to IDE working, I've never had
> > trouble with that using several different drives. Check all the
> > suggestions that have been made here, especially checking for DMA.
> > Also make sure you are using an 80-conductor cable not an old 40-
> > conductor one, sometimes that makes a difference.
>
> DMA is enabled, and I am using an 80 conductor cable.
>
> > Also make sure you are using the connector at the end or the ribbon
> > for the drive, not leaving a tail dangling. Use hdparm to see what's
> > happening with the interface.
>
> I am using the end connector. No problems to date writing single layer disks,
> so I doubt the problem is transmission related.

one more minor thing. sometimes an IDE cable is directional. If it has
one colored end, usually red or blue, and the other end is black or
grey, make sure the colored end is attached to the motherboard and the
black/grey end to the drive. Sometimes there is an intentional notch
or short in the cable, which the system uses at boot to set up DMA and
such. this probably isnt the issue, since you said DMA is enabled, but
maybe this can help someone else.

keep looking, a solution exists. i have burned DL disks straight to my
IDE burner without SCSI emulation, and without issue using growisofs.
we're just overlooking something.
-J