[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 - NTSC and QAM?

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 4 23:43:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my current Myth setup (SD only, version .18)
to something capable of handling HD.  I'm a Comcast analog cable
subscriber and recently picked up an external HD tuner (a Samsung DTB-
H260F) to see what I could get via QAM off my coax.  There's enough
unencrypted HD content (all the local OTA channels, DiscoveryHD,
Universal HD) that I'd like to have the option to record in either HD
or SD.  A little research turned up the pcHDTV 5500 -- a QAM capable
card with both ATSC and NTSC tuners.  My question is (of course!) how
well does it work in Myth?  Specifically, is anyone using the card to
record both HD and SD (not at the same time of course)?  If so, how
does this work?  Do you specify two different inputs to Myth? Does
the card show up as having two different tuners? What's the quality
of SD capture?  Any insight into the nuts and bolts of how the 5500
handles both QAM and SD would be much appreciated...

thanks,

Steve