[mythtv-users] controlling order of tuner card detection?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Mar 5 01:05:42 UTC 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007 14:19, Michael Thome wrote:
> Sometimes, my tuner cards are detected and thus assigned to /dev/videoX
> numbers in different orders - this wouldn't be an issue except that they
> have very different connections and features.  Right now, I've got a
> pvr-150 with both cable and video-in and a hd5500 with qam and backup
> cable in - if they get detected in the wrong order, /dev/video doesn't
> have an mpeg encoder, doesn't have an attached cable box to video0, and
> gets darn nasty reception.  I've been planning to replace the 150 with a
> 500, but I'm nervous that it'll make things even worse...
>
> Is there any way to force detection to proceed in bus-order, presumably
> not changing unless I swap cards?

I replied to your query earlier; however, your question inspired me to write a
new wiki entry:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Device_Filenames_and_udev

This entry only covers one method of approaching this problem (namely, using
udev to create unique device filenames). Other approaches are possible and
may be simpler to configure in some (perhaps many) cases. Still, the udev
approach is extremely flexible.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com