[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Mar 5 01:22:26 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff napsal(a):
> If your motherboard supports it, you can try overclocking the Sempron,
> you probably don't need much to get it decoding 1080i.

   I tried that.  Seems that the limitation isn't the CPU clock cycles,
it's the pitiful cache that AMD put on the chip (128K L2 and no L1).
Basically, the CPU spins its wheels waiting on data.  More wheel
spinning isn't going to help.  :-(

Also, that mobo has only one stick of DDR400 memory.  Would there be any
advantage to a second stick?  (Other than more ram, of course.)  The
system has 512MB RAM.  If I can improve performance for < $100 well
enough to run HD, I'll be happy.

--Yan