[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 5 05:43:52 UTC 2007

On 03/04/2007 05:55 PM, Jared Greenwald wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> But, even if they only "do 720P", they still have to decode 1080i60
>> because it's one of the 18 formats in ATSC...  So, you need a full
>> HDTV MPEG-2 decoder in there.  (I.e. an ATI Xilleon or whatever...
>> Anyone know what those go for?)
> CompUSA, $70 after $20 rebate this week...
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=343496&pfp=mar4

The only decoder on that card is a dbx-TV stereo (audio) decoder "for
great TV sound".  Again, it's not the requirement that all TV's have a
digital tuner, but the implied requirement for an HDTV MPEG-2 decoder
that's going to make (especially smaller) TV's expensive.  (Implied
because the digital tuner would be completely useless without a decoder
and--tuner or no tuner--the TV would not be able to display digital TV
without an HDTV MPEG-2 decoder...)

Mike