[mythtv-users] Writing a dual layer DVD+R DL disk

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:05:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 18:36 +0000, Mark Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to write an image onto a dual layer DVD+R disk using growisofs:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>
> On my FC6 Myth box, it consistently gets a third of the way in before
> failing:
>
>  2437349376/7376338944 (33.0%) @2.5x, remaining 24:12 RBU 100.0% UBU  94.4%
>  2448752640/7376338944 (33.2%) @2.5x, remaining 24:10 RBU 100.0% UBU  94.4%
>  2460188672/7376338944 (33.4%) @2.5x, remaining 24:06 RBU 100.0% UBU  94.4%
>  2471624704/7376338944 (33.5%) @2.5x, remaining 24:02 RBU 100.0% UBU  94.4%
>  2483060736/7376338944 (33.7%) @2.5x, remaining 24:00 RBU 100.0% UBU  94.4%
>  2494496768/7376338944 (33.8%) @2.5x, remaining 23:56 RBU 100.0% UBU  94.4%
> :-[ WRITE at LBA=12a760h failed with SK=3h/ASC=0Ch/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
> :-( write failed: Input/output error

If when you look at the 'dmesg' output you see something about
attempting to read or write past the end of the device, then check and
see if the packet writing module is loaded (lsmod | grep pktcdvd).  If
it is, then unload and black-list it, then try again with a fresh DVD.

I found out about this when I was having trouble viewing DVD movies.
They would play part way and then mysteriously fail.  The size of the
device was locked at the size of the first DVD that Linux saw after
reboot.  To view another movie on a larger DVD, the machine had to be
rebooted.  If a CD was used first, then nothing beyond the size of the
CD could be read even from a DVD.  I assume that this will affect
writing a DVD also.  See:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS206US206&q=pktcdvd+beyond+end+of+device&btnG=Search

--
Karl Hegbloom <karlheg at gmail.com>