[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Mar 5 22:23:42 UTC 2007

David Murphy wrote:
> I'm using a Sempron 3400 w/ 256KB L2 cache on the Asus M2NPV-VM in my
> frontend. I'm outputting HD from my air2pc card to a 27" SD tv at the
> moment.  Initially HD was unwatchable.  XvMC gave reasonably smooth
> playback at ~90% cpu without any deinterlacing but the audio was screwed
> up. Ffmpeg and libmpeg2 would put xorg usage at 40-50% and and
> mythfrontend at 50-60% and the content was unwatchable.
>
> Then I discovered the xorg.conf device option of "UseEvents" "True" for
> the onboard Nvidia graphics and now everything is more or less peachy.
> XvMC is still unusable due to audio issues but with libmpeg2 and bob
> deinterlacing I am seeing ~10% xorg usage and ~50-60% mythfrontend
> usage. Total system load is rarely over 75% cpu usage when watching
> 1080i content and the audio is perfect.

So where do you put this magic incantation?  Although I have an Athlon
3200+ on order, I could put it to other use if I can get my problematic
Sempron showing HD....

And for Brian:

My LCD TV maxes out at 1366x720p, so that's what I am calling HD.  My HD
source is typically OTA PBS stuff - Nature and such.  I have a separate
frontend and backend - and when I save my pennies, I'm getting a gigabit
switch to eliminate any network issues.

--Yan