[mythtv-users] Last few problems - playback consistency, auto-shutdown questions, live firewire

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Mon Mar 5 23:04:23 UTC 2007

On 3/4/07, Chris Weiland <hobbiticus at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I got my hardware for my dedicated myth box and I'm just about done
> setting it up.  However, I've run into a few snags that I can't figure out
> yet.
>
> 1) When watching HD content, sometimes the video will speed up suddenly for
> up to 30 seconds, leaving the audio out of sync.  After a few more seconds,
> the video will slow down for about the same amount of time until the audio
> finally syncs back up.  This is sometimes accompanied by the audio speeding
> up while catching up.  I havn't a clue as to what is causing this.
>
> I thought it was due to excessive CPU usage by xorg.  Like some other users,
> my xorg usage was through the roof while watching anything, which was fixed
> by setting the "UseEvents" option to "True" in my xorg.conf.  This seems to
> have made the problem occur less often, but it definitely still happens.  I
> also don't see any correlation to spikes in CPU usage.  This is definitely
> not an artifact from the broadcaster because I can rewind to the
> "problematic" area and view it normally.
>
> 2) I'm trying to setup my myth box to shut itself off when idle then turn
> itself back on when there is something to record.  However, it's almost too
> good at this.  For example, I'd like it to be able to run mythfilldatabase
> and comm flag jobs as well.  So, after it wakes up to record something, I'd
> like to to comm flag what it just recorded (and any other outstanding comm
> flag jobs for whatever reason), and possibly run mythfilldatabase before
> shutting itself off.  Is there any way to do this?
>
> 3) For some reason, I'm able to record programs off of my firewire
> connection, but I am not able to watch live TV.  If I hit Live TV, myth will
> bring up my tv tuner card, then when I try to change inputs (to the
> firewire), the screen goes black for about 10 seconds then returns to the
> main menu.  I don't see anything strange in my backend log either.  Why
> won't it let me watch live?
>
> Also, an aside: This is a long shot, but is there a way to turn on my myth
> box with a remote control (with a USB receiver)?  Is there a way to use the
> wake on lan feature to allow an HTTP request (i.e. trying to access mythweb)
> to turn on the machine?
>
> I've got the following system:
> AMD 64 3800+
> Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard
> Integrated GeForce 6200 video
> Onboard AC97 audio
> Linux kernel version 2.6.20.1
> Debian testing
> MythTV debian testing packages from www.debian-multimedia.org
> nvidia driver version 9746
> $ mythbackend --version
> Library API version: 0.20.20060828-3

1) I get this sometimes as well.  However I am too lazy to really do
anything about it.  I just pause, skip back, then play and it fixes
itself.

2) In the mythbackend shutdown config screen there is an option for a
'run this script before shutting down'.  If that script returns 0, it
will continue the shutdown process, if it returns 1, it will hold off.
 You should be able to set up some script that checks for a running
mythcommflag process and use it there.  Sorry I don't have more
details.

3) No idea.

4) Don't think so on either account.  I was thinking about this the
other day though.  There should be (as in I wish it were so) some way
to configure the HDHR to wake up a system based on an IR event.  It
has everything necessary.  Maybe something to pester silicondust
about.

--Glenn