[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:10:13 UTC 2007

On 3/4/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> I'm in search of HD...  My cheapie Sempron 3000 CPU just won't do HD.
> It's clocked at 1.8 GHz and has a 128K L2 cache.
>
> I can get an Athlon 64 3000+ that will fit the mobo for $60; it has 512K
> L2 cache and is clocked 20% faster than the Sempron, at 2.00 GHz.
>
> Or should I go for a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ system?  That comes in
> at $400.  The computer in question will only be used as a HD frontend;
> it has no other function, so if I can get good assurance an upgraded CPU
> will push my TV at 1366x720p I don't want to spend the money.  But then
> again, I don't want to spend $60 only to have a system that still
> doesn't work.....

As a reference point, I just built a new frontend for HD:

Hardware:
X2 3800 (65w) AM2
ASUS M2NBP-VM MB with integrated Nvidia 6100
1GB DDR2 (2x512) 800MHz
Connected via Gig E

Software:
gentoo
2.6.20 kernel
nvidia driver 1.0.9746
Mythtv 0.20_p12884

It displays 720p/1080i HD content on a 1360 x 768 via VGA at 40-50%
CPU with de-interlace turned on, I forget which algorithm.  Cool N
Quiet is enabled and the CPU stays relatively steady at 1.8GHz, when
watching SDTV it drops down to 1GHz and stays at 20-30%.  I have
standard XVMC enabled.

Motherboard, memory and CPU cost about 320USD from newegg.  I am very
happy with the performance.  This replaced a celeron 1.4 with 512M of
PC133 + GF6200.  Power consumption measured with a kill-a-watt, is
between 65W and high 90W @110V.

Good Luck,

Yan