[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 - NTSC and QAM?

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Mon Mar 5 23:23:42 UTC 2007

On 3/4/07, Steven Sartorius <ssartor at bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at upgrading my current Myth setup (SD only, version .18)
> to something capable of handling HD.  I'm a Comcast analog cable
> subscriber and recently picked up an external HD tuner (a Samsung DTB-
> H260F) to see what I could get via QAM off my coax.  There's enough
> unencrypted HD content (all the local OTA channels, DiscoveryHD,
> Universal HD) that I'd like to have the option to record in either HD
> or SD.  A little research turned up the pcHDTV 5500 -- a QAM capable
> card with both ATSC and NTSC tuners.  My question is (of course!) how
> well does it work in Myth?  Specifically, is anyone using the card to
> record both HD and SD (not at the same time of course)?  If so, how
> does this work?  Do you specify two different inputs to Myth? Does
> the card show up as having two different tuners? What's the quality
> of SD capture?  Any insight into the nuts and bolts of how the 5500
> handles both QAM and SD would be much appreciated...
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve

I have the pchdtv 5500.  It works great, and is easy to setup.
However, my understanding is that it can only be configured as a
digital (atsc/qam) or analog card when the drivers are loaded.  So you
either load up the DVB (digital) or analog drivers.  I suppose you
could work up elaborate system to unload and load drivers depending on
which channel you are recording from.  Seems overly complicated.
And as someone else mentioned, it does not do on-board mpeg encoding,
so you have to do that in software for analog channels.

I am assuming by 'SD' you mean analog.  You can get both SD (standard
definition) and HD channels over QAM and the pchdtv can record both of
those just fine through the DVB setup.

Other than that, I will also throw my support behind the HDHR.  Very nice.

--Glenn