[mythtv-users] New setup

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 5 23:34:37 UTC 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Mark Bell wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Just completed my setup with an Avermedia A180 tuner
>
> Video is very slow/choppy when watching an HD channel.
>

> Can some one point me in the right direction to diagnose this?
>

> Pentium4 2.GHz
>
> 512 MB Memory
>
> ATI x850XL video card
>
> A180 tuner
>
> Mythtv .20 on Knoppmyth

If you've been following the "Upgrade old or cut my losses" thread,
you may simply have insufficient CPU horsepower to decode HD.

There are some inconsistent results though.

Unfortunately you will not be able to use XvMC with an ATI video
card, nor will you be able to use the nVidia drivers.

I suspect that with that CPU/Video card combination you are beat, but
read through the archives as some people seem to be getting
acceptable results with low-end CPUs, but in some cases that is only
with XvMC and in others they may not be watching "true" HD.

For you to have any chance at all you will have to make sure nothing
not needed is running, optimize everything as much as possible and
perhaps run a minimal X server. Overclocking *may* help, look at your
CPU usage with top and see how close you are to things happening.

But my guess is you are going to be in the market for either an
nVidia card to use XvMC or a faster CPU.