[mythtv-users] New setup

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Mon Mar 5 23:37:11 UTC 2007

Mark Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Just completed my setup with an Avermedia A180 tuner
>
> Video is very slow/choppy when watching an HD channel.
>
> Can some one point me in the right direction to diagnose this?

> Pentium4 2.GHz
> ATI x850XL video card

Here are the potential problem areas.

A 2 gig P4 isn't enough to playback HD without some kind of MPEG2
acceleration, provided you are receiving MPEG2 streams.  Without
hardware assist, generally one needs about 3 ghz or better to playback
HD smoothly.

And per the Wiki, XvMC doesn't work with ATI cards.

Assuming the XvMC situation has not changed, I would suggest either
getting a faster CPU or get a NVidia based card, which do support XvMC.

I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong on these ideas.  :-)