[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Mar 6 00:00:47 UTC 2007

Dennis Lou wrote:

>> ... as would video
>> drivers and their options, system tuning and many other factors.
>>

> Bingo.  Took me a few minutes to play around with the various
> MythTV, Xorg and nVidia settings to come up with something
> optimal.  Extra audio buffering turned out to be a big one.  I set all that stuff up about a year and a half ago, so I can't recall all the details of what I did.  But if you are really curious, I can post some (edited!) excerpts from my configs.

That would be great.

I'm having a bit of conceptual difficulty with the fact that mplayer can
play a 720x480 video with not even breaking a sweat - I'll check CPU
usage later; ISTR somewhere around 20% - but Myth can't play 1366x720
video....AFAICT that should scale to around 80% CPU usage; I'm maxing
out at 98% and it's failing miserably.  And I'm using Xv with mplayer
and XvMC with Myth.

I guess another test would be to play the HD recordings via mplayer and
see what happens.  That's a thought.

I also came up with another nvida option that looks promising; the
|Option "FlatPanelProperties" "string" - I'll try turning off dithering
and scale at the TV; we'll see what happens.

--Yan