[mythtv-users] nVidia OverScan with VGA cable

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:35:31 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> I disagree with you (note: this does NOT apply if you're using an
> analog source, only a digital source)
(snip)
> The way to have it fill the screen is to set up myth's overscan (or
> this will happen automatically if you have a TV that isn't true 1:1
> and is assuming overscan), which will crop those "bonus pixels" on the
> top and bottom to make it fill the screen left to right.

I have a 1:1 pixel mapping LCD TV, and found that the problems with
doing this are often more annoying than just dealing with the extra
pixels.  Myth's overscan tends to overcompensate the OSD (making a
visible, blank "bleed through" space between the OSD and the screen's
edge), AND throws off the placement of nav highlights in MythDVD.
Turning off the overscan puts the OSD flush against the edge and makes
the dvd navigation look perfect, so I turned it off.