[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:31:04 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hardware:
> X2 3800 (65w) AM2
> ASUS M2NBP-VM MB with integrated Nvidia 6100
> 1GB DDR2 (2x512) 800MHz
> Connected via Gig E
>
> Software:
> gentoo
> 2.6.20 kernel
> nvidia driver 1.0.9746
> Mythtv 0.20_p12884
>
> It displays 720p/1080i HD content on a 1360 x 768 via VGA at 40-50%
> CPU with de-interlace turned on, I forget which algorithm.  Cool N
> Quiet is enabled and the CPU stays relatively steady at 1.8GHz, when
> watching SDTV it drops down to 1GHz and stays at 20-30%.  I have
> standard XVMC enabled.
>
> Motherboard, memory and CPU cost about 320USD from newegg.  I am very
> happy with the performance.  This replaced a celeron 1.4 with 512M of
> PC133 + GF6200.  Power consumption measured with a kill-a-watt, is
> between 65W and high 90W @110V.

Wow.  I have nearly the exact same setup (except I'm on Fedora Core
6).  I really appreciate the stats -- especially the kill-a-watt
numbers!  I'm not recording HD yet so I haven't done exhaustive
testing (still convincing the wife on the HDHomeRun).  But from the
sample clips I've downloaded I see similar numbers, except I haven't
turned on XvMC.  I was hoping to get away without it.   I too
recommend this setup.