[mythtv-users] Pixelation Issues

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:43:07 UTC 2007

Ok this is just from my experience. First i would have to say how big are
the black lines, a 3-6 inches or just a couple or less.  If 3-6,  I have a
newer CRT Tube, that has component in and with Mythtv i can get 480p (or
480i i forget right now), but all my recordings are 4:3, so if i'm outputing
in my Xorg.conf file that 480p i have to force myth to use 16:9 when showing
recordings.  However, if i'm exporting 1024x768, and the recordings are also
4:3, the gui fills up but my TV recordings don't fill the screen, usually
again on right and left, but only by about an inch, so in the playback
settings i have to overscan just the TV part and not the GUI.

On 3/5/07, D <daspiras at gmail.com> wrote:

> I only have a sd tube tv - it should be 4:3.  My first thought was an
> overscan issue. but the mythtv gui fills the screen except for a wee
> bit at the top and the bottom that I need to tweak the overscan for.
> Recording at 4:3 on the other hand, places black bars on the left and
> right side of the video when playing back (unless I zoom or fill).
> Square on the other hand works and looks fine, filling the same
> screensize as mythgui,  but it seems like the wrong thing to be doing.
>   Maybe I should try recording at 4:3 and playing it on my desktop to
> see if the black bars are indeed encoded in the video as I think they
> are.
>
> I mean, technically it looks as good as the regular live straight
> cable to tv for everything except sporting events, but it doesn't seem
> to be the right thing to be doing.
>
> On 3/5/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 5, 2007, at 7:32 PM, D wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for all the feedback guys. Upping the encode rates has seemed
> > > to help.  A related question: resolutions and aspect ratios
> > >
> > > Currently I record and play at 720x480 but I have to set the aspect
> > > ratio to square in order to have it fill the screen. If I set it to
> > > 4:3 there are black bars on each side (and possibly the top, its hard
> > > to tell).  This happens even if I record/play in 640x480 as well.  If
> > > I don't have it set to square, 4:3 zoom/fill using the W key during
> > > playback works, although it looks worse than set to square.  I don't
> > > seem to be losing any of the video when I compare it to what the
> > > direct cable to the tv shows, but I am a little confused as to why 4:3
> > > doesn't work properly?
> >
> > If your source material is 4:3 and you want it to "fill" a 16:9
> > screen then you have to either distort the image in one of several
> > ways or put up with the "reverse letter box" effect.
> >
> > Or is that not what you meant?

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell