[mythtv-users] best window manger/desktop environment

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Mar 6 21:01:48 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 15:42, Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious what everyone suggest on speeding up booting and performance
> in the area of the window manager and desktop environment?
>
> Currently i am using GNOME and MetaCity as it was just the default on FC6.
> Any better suggestions?

GNOME is a desktop environment, and a rather big one, too. Even on a desktop
system, I'm not a fan of GNOME; IMHO, it's a bloated pig of a package. If
you're using the computer as a MythTV box only, then GNOME may be the single
worst possible choice for a boot environment; you're taking time to load
stuff you never use, and that stuff is chewing up RAM that would be better
devoted to caches, MythPlugin programs, etc.

Check http://www.xwinman.org for information on many window managers for
Linux. Most of the "bare" window managers will be better choices than GNOME
(or any other desktop environment) for a MythTV-only system. Mine is running
openbox, simply because the Ubuntu install guide I followed suggested it.
Others I've used in the past which I know to be slim include IceWM, wm2, and
fvwm.

The window manager you use won't make much difference to MythTV operation,
except to the extent that it consumes RAM. If you frequently shut down
mythfrontend and perform operations in the Linux, GUI, though, the window
manager may be important. For instance, if you shut down MythTV and run
mplayer directly or use some non-Myth DVD-authoring software, you might care
about the window manager's features. If you don't do such things often,
though, just pick a window manager that doesn't consume a lot of resources,
and stay away from GNOME, KDE, or even XFce.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com