[mythtv-users] Problem getting AverTVHD A180 going.

Mark Bell markb at pilgrim.com
Wed Mar 7 03:13:59 UTC 2007

I had this same problem. It seems my knoppmyth install was loading the
wrong tuner. It was setup as V-Stream Studio TV Terminator under DVB.

I found some on the web that fixed it I can't find the link but I do
have it saved. Folled the in structions and bingo I have HD. Crappy HD
but HD stutters bigtime.

Read Below

To get things working in KnoppMyth (I am using the R5E50 release), I did
have to do some work. First off, my first tuner was getting detected as
a "V-Stream Studio TV Terminator"!!!

dmesg output:

saa7133[0]: subsystem: 1461:1044, board: V-Stream Studio TV Terminator
[card=65,insmod option]

After quite a bit of digging, I noticed that one of the init scripts,
/etc/init.d/KnoppMyth-tv, was calling a script way down at the bottom
called "/usr/local/bin/tvterm.sh". Looking at that script, I saw:

/usr/local/bin/tvterm.sh:

#!/bin/bash
lspci | grep SAA7133/SAA7135 > /tmp/tvterm
if [ ! -s /tmp/tvterm ]; then
exit
else
echo -e "\033[1mSetting up Studio TV Terminator.\033[0m"
rmmod saa7134 &> /dev/null
modprobe saa7134 card=65
fi

Well, duh! The script greps lspci output for 7133/7135 chipsets and then
assumes it is a Studio TV Terminator card!! At least I guess you could
say the script is appropriately named though, as it did terminate my tv
experience. :)

To fix, I simply commented out the call to tvterm in the KnoppMyth-tv
init script. Then, I set up an init script to call "modprobe
saa7134-dvb". I did some other stuff in there that is probably
unnecessary, but here it is (I put it in /etc/init.d, then ran
update-rc.d to include it as an init script):

/etc/init.d/saa7134-dvb-install.sh:

#! /bin/sh

echo "In my saa7134 installer script ..."

echo "Loading module saa7134 ..."
modprobe saa7134

echo "Running depmod -a"
depmod -a