[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Mar 7 03:53:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:55:09AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 7:26 AM, jason maxwell wrote:
>

> > Ahh, now I gotcha. It's been so long that I forgot there actually were
> > days you couldnt watch your boughten DVDs in Linux. If the HD DVD
> > encryption has been cracked, all we're waiting for are inexpensive
> > optical drives that can read the disks. hooray. now I can buy star
> > wars again :)
> > -J
>
> Sort of depends on what you mean by "inexpensive". You can get a Blu-
> Ray player for under $500 with a cool case that includes a Cel
> processor, RAM and other assorted electronics that allow it to run
> Linux (I think it can also run some sort of games but I don't know
> who would care about that).
>
> I suspect the movie vendors will subsidize players, as they do with
> standard DVD units, in order to have a market to sell movies to.
>
> But the "format wars" continue. Some disks are apparently being
> released with HD-DVD on one side and Blu-Ray on the other, and drives
> that can do both formats are already starting to appear.
>
> I think an HD drive that can only do one of the HD formats will soon
> become as rare as a DVD burner that can only do -R or +R, and the
> "protection" will be ignorable as it is now with CSS.

The protection on high def DVDs (AACS) is quite a bit more sophisticated
than CSS on regular DVDs.  They planned for a war with the crackers.
AACS has not been broken itself, but components have been cracked and
will continue to be cracked.  They put in a facility that once a player
was compromised and somebody published a decrypting player, they can
stop it from working on any new titles.

One of the attacks, however, involves just publishing a database of keys
for particular disks.   This one is harder to use, but much harder to
defeat.  You have to wait until somebody has published the key for your
particular disk to play it.   There are tricks they can use to find out
who's cracking disks and disable their crackable player, too, but they
are harder.

There are some essays on Ed Felton's blog to explain this in more detail.

BTW, even playing old DVDs on linux is still technically troublesome with
the player that comes with myth and decss.    I believe there was a closed
source dvd player for linux but you don't hear much about it.