[mythtv-users] picture quality help?

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:18:06 UTC 2007

> I running ivtv .10 and 2.6.20.1 kernel with mythtv
> 20.1 fixes.  My issue is the picture quality on
> channels 2, 4 and 5.  I am using Comcast in New
> England.  I have tried fine tuning the channels, but
> the defaults frequencies are the best picture I can
> get.  I don't believe this to be a mythtv issue,
> because mplayer /dev/video0 shows the same quality.  I
> am using a 250 and a 500 in my backend and the quality
> is about the same on both cards.

I had a similar problem, also with Comcast - North of Boston area, when I
first setup my Myth box with a PVR-150  card about a year ago.  My problems
were mostly on channels 5  (ABC) and 6 (NECN).  Unfortunately it was so long
ago (at least for my memory) that I don't recall the exact steps I took to
fix it.  I believe I used the ivtv tools to tune to the channel.  That gave
me the frequency of the channel.  Then I bumped it up by increments of 25 or
50 until I got a good picture with mplayer.  I took the frequency from
there, went into the mtytv-setup Channel editor, and entered the frequency
instead of the channel number.  The bump up was more than I could get with
the fine-tuning in mythtv.

I wouldn't totally discount the other post about a bad cable, connection,
etc., but I have a feeling that Comcast does something funky with some of
these low numbered channels.

Sorry I don't have my exact troubleshooting steps, but I hope this info can
lead you on the right path.