[mythtv-users] Recordings going WAY over

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 7 15:18:18 UTC 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 6:44 AM, ryan patterson wrote:

> On 3/6/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> I've been having a problem lately with recordings that are supposed
> to take a half hour recording up to an hour and recordings that are
> supposed to be an hour, recording an hour and a half or even two
> hours. Sometimes the program metadata will have something like 6:00
> am - 6:01 am and sometimes it will read correctly like 12:30 pm -
> 1:00 pm, but be an hour long.
>
> The Watch Recordings screen doesn't show it as recording, mythwelcome
> says mythtv is busy recording, but shows all tuners idle. My VFD
> panel shows the program is still recording way after it should have
> stopped.
>
> Fortunately, this hasn't caused any real problems since it seems to
> correct itself when the tuner is needed for the next program, but it
> means I'm recording way more stuff that I should be. Anyone else
> seeing this?
>
> -Brad
>
> Are you sure MythTV is actually recording this extra stuff after
> the end of the show?  Can you actually watch a half hour past the
> end of the show?  There is a known bug where sometimes MythTV will
> display a one hour show as being two hours long during playback.
> It happens almost every week for me on the Fox show 24.  But the
> show only records for the correct time and it only takes the
> correct amount of HDD space.

Yes, it really does keep recording. Last night it recorded Buffy The
Vampire Slayer. It says it was on from 4:00am - 4:04am, but the
recording length is 2:00:27 and I can watch the show immediately
following it in the recording. When it was time to record another
show at 5am, it used another tuner.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have it set to recording 15
seconds before a program and 30 seconds after a program. Maybe that
broke at some point?
I'm trying a reboot only because I haven't done it in a while and
I'll keep my fingers crossed.