[mythtv-users] Looking for a good Ubuntu Install Guide

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Wed Mar 7 18:24:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:08:13 +0000
Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> Jean-Marc Melchior wrote:
> > the problem is, that Mythtv creates a text file with a random
> > password mysql besides the password you setup in mythtv-setup, I
> > don't remember exactly which file it is, but it has a name like
> > mysql.txt, i think it is /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt if you edit that file
> > and change the password to your actual Mysql password then it should
> > work...
> >
> > JMM

> >> Hi Jordan,
> >>
> >> I would say that the Community Ubuntu MythTV Guide is very good:
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV
> >> but I think there's quite a nasty problem with it. I've gone
> >> through it
> >> twice now and although the steps are very clear, I never get the
> >> end 'ta
> >> da' moment. There's always a problem logging into MySql. If you know
> >> your Linux, then this is probably not much of a problem. I got past it
> >> once, then the entire system died on me. I've been through the guide
> >> again since, but have forgotten what I did with the MySql bit so I
> >> need
> >> to work it out again. Unfortunately, family and work life have kept me
> >> away from fixing it for about 3 weeks now but I think everything is
> >> close to being up and running, once I figure out how to make sure
> >> MySql
> >> is set up properly again.
> >> I think that Ubuntu sets a password for MySql different to what the
> >> guides suggest for Myth and that's where the confusion comes in.
> >>
> >> Here's another very good guide.
> >> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php
> >>
> >> Just found this one too
> >> http://www.slash32.com/ubuntu-myth.html
> >> but it may be a bit dated.
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >> Damian
> >
> Oh, and check your xorg.conf. Mine didn't find my video card on one
> machine I treid Ubuntu on, ended up with a VESA driver :(. Couldn't find
> any tools to help me fix that one, went back to Mandriva.

Just as a matter of note (since it caused me no end of grief) - I have had at least three machines that would not correctly run the Ubuntu graphical installer.  You will find lots of posts about this, with varying solutions.

The best solution I found was to download the alternate installer and do the text install.  Just like old times.

That being said, Ubuntu is the best distro I've used so far (and I have used about five over my time) so its worth that much.