[mythtv-users] Moving from Fedora to Ubuntu

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Thu Mar 8 05:25:57 UTC 2007

> I am considering moving from Fedora to Ubuntu.
> I'm comfortable with Fedora, but I am looking at more long term
> stability with Ubuntu using the server install that has an 18 month
> support cycle.
>
> I have a couple of glitched on my frontend and backend, so I am
> considering starting from scratch. It's just TV that I have recorded,
> and I can likely record most of it again, but I want to reorder my
> drives a bit in the backend and move it to my server room.
>
> I'm also switching from analog cable to Bell Expressvu satellite so I
> also have to switch to an irblaster to change channels.
>
> I'd like to keep the backend nice and light, and plan on makeing
> another frontend to replace the tv it is currently attached to. My
> other frontend has a few issues and I'm thinking a reinstall may fix
> that up.
>
> I have the ubuntu server install cd that is supposed to be nice and
> light, and I'd like to run a light window manager like fluxbox. Does
> anyone have a system running similar to this?
>
> Am I making too many changes to my setup that I won't get it working
> again?
>
> My old boxes are FC4 and I don't think I want to bother upgrading them
> to FC6. I'd rather try installing something lighter.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> -=/>Thom

It doesn't take that much time to strip a fedora install down. Just
manually select packages during install and take away pretty much
everything except X and the base packages. After that just grab everything
you need with yum install mythtv-suite fluxbox, and run
system-config-services to turn off all the extra services. I personally
have a fedora backend and frontend and use fluxbox as my window manager. I
can hardly imagine going back to compiling ivtv, lirc and myth packages.

With fedora and atrpms I could start from stratch and have a completely
working myth box in about an hour. In your case the irblaster might take
some extra time.