[mythtv-users] dilemma PVR-350-out/nvdia out

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Thu Mar 8 07:26:08 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 02:44, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> It kind of depends on the way your outputting to your TV.  My dad's mythtv
> box that i just set up uses HDMI and man it looks great.  I personally use
> RGB (VGA) on mine, which looks great too.  On my bedroom one i use s-video
> which is not great but not bad.  I mean i got rid of my pvr-350 awhile ago
> because whenever i played a game or a mpeg4 file, it was just terrible.
> I'd rather live with s-video than the pvr-350's out personally.  To each
> their own.
>
> On 3/7/07, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx at telenet.be> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently building two Mythboxes on two recent Asus Pundits. One has
> > a ATI
> > card, the other an Nvidia card. Both also have PVR-350 cards.
> >
> > They will be used for virtually all MytTV functionalities: TV, DVD,
> > MythGame
> > etc.
> >
> > For the TV part I understand from reading other posts that for picture
> > quality
> > nothing seems to beat running X server on the PVR-350.
> >
> > For games and DVD though, it seems that running X on an Nvidia is the
> > optimal
> > situation CPU-wise, also because of XvMC.
> >
> > I already added a Nvidia card to the Pundit with the ATI card, but the
> > main
> > dilemma is know: using X on a PVR-350 and risking high CPU for xmame and
> > DVD
> > playing or using X on the Nvideas and dealing with lower quality TV-out.
> > Both
> > things are important.
> >

> > Any advice?
> >

> > thx!
> >

> > Bart

Hi Tyrrel,

thanks for sharing your experiences.
I tried VGA-out on a plasme screen, but it seems that the normal TV picture is
like 3 times better than whatever the PVR generates. Perhaps I need to do
some tweaking. But I think I'll go in that direction. What capture do you use
since you state that you got rid of the PVR?

Thx,

Bart