[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Thu Mar 8 18:58:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, March 8, 2007 19:36, Brian Wood wrote:
<SNIP>
> The biggest problem we ran into with the H/W RAID was that if a
> controller failed you sometimes had to get the EXACT same controller
> in order to get your data back, and some of the early controllers
> were replaced with "improved" units very quickly. The controllers
> were also very touchy as to precisely what drives they would work
> with. Some of these problems are alleviated today though.
>
> OTOH a software RAID disk created back then could be read today with
> no trouble. No vendor lock-in or obsolescence problems, fewer slots
> taken up, less power consumed and less up-front cost.
>
> With today's CPUs the overhead is negligible. I'd go with software RAID.

The *only* advantage IMHO hardware RAID *can* deliver is improved data
security if the controller has a battery backed cache memory on board...

Those (absurdly expensive) controllers can hold the last written data in
cache for many days, thus ensuring the RAID array will survive a power
failure...

Of course nowadays we have a cheaper solution called UPS assisted
shutdown...  ;-)

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250