[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and TV Out - can't get it working

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 8 19:35:58 UTC 2007

Craig Isdahl wrote:
> Matt,
>
> My money is on the xorg.conf file, I'm not an X user so am lost in this
> area.  I'll look around to see if I can find a sample that might get me
> sorted out.
>
> When rebooting nothing shows on the TV screen (I'm using s-video to the TV).
> There is a slight flicker on the TV monitor so I know there's a connection,
> but nothing but black on the screen.
>

> Here is my xorg.conf
> ------------------------
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "i810"
>         # TV Out Setup
>         Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
>         Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
> EndSection

If you have stated what your computer is, and the actual video chipset,
I haven't noticed, so the following may not apply.
1	With Via motherboards, you have to turn on the output to/through for
example, S-video AND the VGA, *in the BIOS*. You may have to go in there
are set 'Display = LCD,CRT' or such,
2	Like the Via chipsets, you need to turn on BOTH outputs in xorg.conf.
You have only shown one output, which would explain why you get no
output from the monitor.

Check out: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html

You need:
	Option "XvMCSurfaces" "7" #This is the line which turns on XvMC
	Option "XVideo" "True"
	Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,TV"  (or LFP or DFP instead of CRT)

NOTA BENE:     "The driver makes use of the video BIOS to program video
modes for the 830M and later. This limits the video modes that can be
used to those provided by the video BIOS, and to those that will fit
into the amount of video memory that the video BIOS is aware of."

This strongly implies that what you think you can program in xorg.conf,
may not be attainable...check the Xorg.0.log file and dmesg

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor