[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:39:54 UTC 2007

> I don't know why you couldn't run it on a flash drive, I'm running
> OpenSlug and a full-blown Debian off them.

The conventional wisdom is that a flash drive will wear out quickly
> as it has a finite number of write cycles available. I take care to
> not swap to them and mount the filesystems with "noatime" and I have
> yet to have a flash drive fail, but it's only been 6 months or so
> since I moved from the small hard drives, so it's not really a fair
> test (yet).

Yea i was thinking i didn't want to waste an IDE slot or something like that
with just a small operating system.  I do have an old laptop drive (40gig)
that i have in a usb case, guess i could use that, or even a regular size
harddrive in a usb interface case.

"Noatime" might cause trouble with some applications as well, depends
> on what you're doing.
>
> So we've moved from a discussion of 1 TB hard drives to small flash
> drives :-)

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell