[mythtv-users] [UK] Missing xmltvids

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:40:05 UTC 2007

On 08/03/07, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 07/03/07, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks - I have been manually adding the Id's manually using mythweb.
> >> For many of the channels this works great and I have EPG for the correct
> >> channels but for others I get no EPG at all.  I am not sure why.
> >
> > Make sure that you are also adding the channel IDs to the
> > <videosource>.xmltv file in $BACKEND_USER/.mythtv, where <videosource>
> > is the name of the videosource you created in mythtv-setup. This file
> > is what mythfilldatabase (MFDB) uses to determine which channels to
> > grab data for. You want to make sure that channels defined in MythTV
> > and entries in this file are in complete agreement, otherwise you can
> > get extra channels created when MFDB runs.
> >
> >> I am also getting some rogue channels in the listing with no name or
> >> EPG.  Still trying to work out how to delete those.
> >
> > You can use the channel editor in mythtv-setup for this.
> >
> > Nick
> Having (briefly) looked at the FillDatabase code, I have to wonder why
> the above is necessary. Why not ensure that the file passed to the
> grabber is always correct by generating it on the fly? A temp file,
> filled with "channel " plus the result of a "select xmltvid from channel
> where sourceid=n and visible=1" (other options may apply, this is off
> the top of my head) will ensure you only pull in the exact list of
> channels you need for that source.

You may want to include hidden channels - just because you don't want
to see them doesn't mean to might not want to schedule from them. We
must also ensure that users who run mythfilldatabase externally are
not affected - typically the grabber is run before MFDB with an xmltv
file, and then MFDB uses the XML data for import.

Perhaps a

# mythfilldatabase --export-xmltvchannels

or similar function?

> This means that, for the UK at least, one of the bigger sources of
> frustration would be removed - getting the database out of step with the
> <source>.xmltv file because one or other needed editing.

That's a very good proposal.

> Now if we could only get the Channel_ids file to always match what the
> Radio Times website expects, and get the callsigns the same everywhere,
> we'd be set...

That's what I've been doing for the last 16 months... Everything in
current channel_ids CVS agrees apart from the extra entry that the RT
site is carrying for Film4 +1 (been this way for a couple of weeks
now).

Regarding callsigns (which are a US thang) and seeing David's painful
installation process above, I will happily write a quick SQL for users
of the uk_rt grabber to quickly populate XMLTV IDs. I have a suitable
spreadsheet of analogue, DVB, VirginMedia and Sky channels and their
availability on the uk_rt grabber which should make this quite
straightforward.

I'm wondering about the best way to integrate this into MythTV itself
- perhaps the new services.mythtv.org site could provide channel
lineups for users in countries who can not get them automatigically
like our zap2it friends.

Back to the UK - I don't know whether channels are named uniformly
across all digital transmitters across the UK - if they are it'd make
it simple to do the same for channels acquired via a scan from MythTV
or from importing a valid channels.conf.

I'd really to be able to contribute something important towards this -
for over 2 years I've seen the problems it causes, and having set my
system up for analogue, DVB and (then) ntl, I've been through the
process of maually filling in XMLTV IDs once more than I'd liked to :)

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/