[mythtv-users] Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 8 20:18:12 UTC 2007

On 03/08/2007 12:56 PM, Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're not using an NVIDIA card with recent drivers, though, the
>> above will likely do nothing.
>>
> From the OP:
> "I've got my Nvidia 6200 PCI-e (latest proprietary drivers)..."
>
> And both options are detailed in the link you provided... seems proper
> enough for me.

I wasn't saying your approach is wrong, only that there are more details
at the link provided.  Without those details, it's quite possible the
do anything," in which case you'd then have to respond with, "Some
distributions--rather than respecting the values you've specified in
configuration files--pass a -dpi command-line argument to the X server
in their X start scripts (i.e. in the startx script) or by passing the
"-- -dpi" command-line argument to startx, itself.  If that's the case
with your distro, you'll have to either change the start script to the
DPI value you want or remove the argument and allow specifying it
through the config files."  Granted, when posting the link, I assumed
that this information was specified in the FAQ entry.  Now, however, I
realize that's not the case (so I modified the FAQ entry to which I
linked, plus the Display Size entry and added a new entry for all the
NVIDIA-specific information).

Also, I hate seeing someone reference a post they took the time to find
in the archives only to have it not work for them because there weren't
enough details for them to apply the answer to their specific
situation.  That only encourages people to quit searching the archives.
So, I thought I'd provide a bit more info and a link to a more detailed
description for the "next guy" to go there.

Mike