[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 20:34:55 UTC 2007

> Very cool. Have you tried RAID 5 with FreeNAS? Does it require a
> powerful processor? And how DO you power all those drives?

I do not use FreeNAS. I am running all my raid servers (mostly
software raid6 using madam) on 64 bit gentoo. And for the machine with
17 drives ( dual processor opteron 246 + 4 GB memory ) I have 2 400W
supplies with all the hard drives on one power supply and everything
else on the other. I did actually add a dummy load on the power supply
that is connected to the hard drives because it required a minimum
load on the 3.3V rail which was not being met. Right now I would just
get a 600 or 700W supply and use that instead.

John