[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 8 20:53:48 UTC 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 12:39 PM, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

> Yea i was thinking i didn't want to waste an IDE slot or something
> like that with just a small operating system.  I do have an old
> laptop drive (40gig) that i have in a usb case, guess i could use
> that, or even a regular size harddrive in a usb interface case.

I have a couple of USModular "Monstor" 4GB drives that are really
good for a small OS. Dead quiet, low power draw and very small. I
also have a couple of Tone "Pen Drive" 2.2GB units, as well as the
"Microdrives" that go into a CF-USB adapter and work well. All these
are good and do not have the potential problems of Flash drives.

I picked up a pair of 2GB flash drives for $19.95 each, cheap enough
that I'm willing to sacrifice one for an experiment to determine just
how valid the "conventional wisdom" about flash drives is. As I said
I've been running a Debian system off one for several months with no
problems, but I need to do something that stresses it more and counts
write cycles I guess.

One problem is that the older mobos don't want to boot from a USB
device though.