[mythtv-users] FCC blockouts

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Mar 8 20:57:06 UTC 2007

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    In San Jose I have a problem that shows up once in awhile with NBC.
> It's in town on channel 3 and out of town on channel 28. If the two
> show the same program at the same time then the one on channel 28 is
> blocked out. Normally Myth will choose the one on channel 3, the
> channel I asked it to record. In that case I'm always fine.
> Periodically it will, for some reason I don't understand, choose the
> one on channel 28 which is blocked and MYth records an hour of blue
> screen messages.
>
>    Short of deleting channel 28 from my channel lineup is there a way
> to tell Myth to choose channel 3 over channel 28 when the program info
> is the same?

On the first pass I thought you should delete 28 but as I
look at it, I'm inferring that there is local programming
on 28 (which you do receive and could record) that is not on
3. If so, then you do want to keep 28 but lower the channel
priority as others have mentioned.

There is a page for managing your channel priorities at TV
Settings->Recording Priorities->Channel Priorities. Right and
left arrows raise and lower the priority values. In current
SVN Select, Info, Menu or sneezing brings up the channel
wizard to edit any channel info within mythfrontend without
having to run mythtv-setup.

For info on how myth chooses a channel and input for a show, see:

I would recommend that you lower the channel priority for 28.
That says a show should be recorded on any other channel if
available (presumably ch 3). You could raise the priority for
channel 3 but that says channel 3 is a better than all other
channels for all other shows and I don't think that is what
you are looking for.

--  bjm