[mythtv-users] Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:22:42 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I wasn't saying your approach is wrong, only that there are more details
> at the link provided.  Without those details, it's quite possible the
> do anything," in which case you'd then have to respond with, "Some
> distributions--rather than respecting the values you've specified in
> configuration files--pass a -dpi command-line argument to the X server
> in their X start scripts (i.e. in the startx script) or by passing the
> "-- -dpi" command-line argument to startx, itself.  If that's the case
> with your distro, you'll have to either change the start script to the
> DPI value you want or remove the argument and allow specifying it
> through the config files."  Granted, when posting the link, I assumed
> that this information was specified in the FAQ entry.  Now, however, I
> realize that's not the case (so I modified the FAQ entry to which I
> linked, plus the Display Size entry and added a new entry for all the
> NVIDIA-specific information).
>
> Also, I hate seeing someone reference a post they took the time to find
> in the archives only to have it not work for them because there weren't
> enough details for them to apply the answer to their specific
> situation.  That only encourages people to quit searching the archives.
> So, I thought I'd provide a bit more info and a link to a more detailed
> description for the "next guy" to go there.

Understood.  And it's a great point -- I should have taken time to
clarify those options would only, potentially, help with an NVIDIA
card and a recent proprietary driver.  Someone less patient could come
along and see that and think it's the end-all, be-all way :)

I've never liked the mathematical dance that DisplaySize made me go
through to get right at 100dpi; it always seemed like trial and error.
 Had to go through it again when I got a new display and switched
resolutions to 720p.  So I was pretty excited to get to specify it
directly like that, and have it work.