[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

Al Banks ahbanks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:04:15 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, casey dunn <casey.dunn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some fun stuff....
>
> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/flash.ars/8 - did someone say
> flash raid?
>
> http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NVPlus
> - sure it's expensive, but where else are you going to get on the fly
> capacity upgrades?
>
> http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/  - zfs sounds sweet on paper... Mmmmm raid-z

For capacity upgrades, take a look at EVMS.  I've never run this, but
it sound interesting.  If anybody has experience with it, I would like
to hear...

http://evms.sourceforge.net/faq.html  From the FAQ:

Q. I have a RAID-0 or RAID-5 volume with a JFS or XFS filesystem. I
would like to expand my RAID volume by adding another disk. EVMS says
the RAID volume must be inactive in order to expand, but it also says
that JFS and XFS must be mounted in order to expand. How can I expand
my RAID volume?
A. This is definitely an unfortunate catch-22. Luckily there's a
pretty simple workaround. All you need to do is fool EVMS into
thinking there isn't an XFS or JFS filesystem on your RAID-0 or RAID-5
volume just during the time that you want to expand it. To do this,
move the appropriate plugin library (XFS and/or JFS) out of
/lib/evms/x.y.z/ to some temporary location. Then run the EVMS UI, and
since the XFS/JFS plugin isn't loaded, it won't detect the filesystem.
Then you'll be able to expand the RAID volume. After the RAID expand
is complete, you'll just need to manually expand the XFS or JFS
filesystem (after mounting it). For XFS, use the xfs_growfs command.
For JFS, you simply remount the filesystem using the command mount -o
remount,resize /mnt/point. After this, you can move the XFS/JFS
plugins back to the /lib/evms/x.y.z/ directory.

ahbanks at gmail.com