[mythtv-users] Smoothing out playback?

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 14:11:29 UTC 2007

you probably have a point here ;)
there are a few small things that the official 0.20 release does not have but considering that liveTV playback is screwed in my system, I will fall back to a more stable version.

J.

Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote: James Warden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a similar problem these days :
>
> I have a b/e and a few remote f/e at home. I very recently updated
> mythtv to the latest svn  version (one f/e just yesterday evening).
> Since then, I've had lots of trouble  getting a smooth playback when
> using a remote f/e and watching liveTV. Sometimes it works, say for 2mn,
> sometimes it stutters very badly (with some 'wait timed out 10 times
> messages'). This has nothing to do with my network speed (wired LAN or
> wireless g). It worked perfectly well before I updated to the latest
> SVN. But actually, it started to behave like this when the myth net
> protocol version was bumped up to 32 or 33.
>
> When I run a f/e directly on the b/e (not using the network), I have no
> problem at all. So it has to do with the mythtv network protocol. I
> cannot think of any other source of problem. This is very frustrating.
>
> J.
>
> */Joe /* wrote:
>
>     ok, well thanks to some of you here i have finally got my backend
>     and frontend boxes talking, thank you for that.
>     my backend is a p4 1800mhz running slackware, and right now i have a
>     dell laptop 1600p4 running the frontend.
>     when i try to watch live tv or playback a recording, its dropping
>     frames, playback runs like garbage. at first i was using wireless.
>     then i went to 100mbit lan. didnt fix anything. the recordings play
>     fine using samba on my windows box. right now i'm at work, and i'm
>     looking for things to try when i get home?
>     guess i'll copy one of the recordings over to the frontend box and
>     see if that plays back correctly. if it doesnt, what can i do?
>     lower the bitrate of the recordings?
>     anyone else have any problems streaming dvd quality recordings over
>     the network?
>     some ideas of what to check for would be great. thanks
>     Joe

> Need Mail bonding?
> Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A
>
> for great tips from Yahoo! Answers
>
> users.

Isn't svn the testing/development branch?  I imagine it would not
function properly all the time.  Given that it's a testing branch,
perhaps a detailed bug report would be more constructive.  Is there any
reason why you have to run svn?  Particular hardware support?  A must
have feature?  I've been running myth since 0.5, never really had a
problem with it outside of the occasional bug.  But then again I've
always ran a stable version.  Perhaps a regression to the 0.20 fixes my
be advisable.

Calvin...