[mythtv-users] Gig Network

Henrik Beckman henrik.list at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:36:48 UTC 2007

For TCP MTU should be negotiated, for UDP all machines on the same LAN
segment need the same MTU.
Almost all cards support larger MTUīs but not all home segment switches do,
some do  but Iīve not seen anyone supporting larger than 9K. Intel NIC cards
support up to 16K.
Some realtek cards are close to useless, worse than 100Mbit cards, so google
the stuff before purchase.

The highest allowed bitrate in blueray is 48Mbit if I recall correctly,
thatīs about 6MB/second, theoretical max on 100Mbit ethernet is 12,5Mbytes
per second, but 10 is closer to reality.
200-300Mbit is achivable easily from GBit gear 400-600 is doable, above that
with consumer gear is not to be expected (imho).

Multiple streams probably is harder on the drives than on the network, does
anyone have som experience on how many streams SDTV and/or HDTV is doable to
a single spindel, without to much fragmentation (how large "blocks" are
written by myth?)

/Henrik