[mythtv-users] Gig Network

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Mar 9 19:40:30 UTC 2007

MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>     <snip>
>

>     I have 5 or 6 D-Link DGE-530T cards, they are well supported in Linux,
>     and specifically KnoppMyth, using the sk98lin driver. They are $25 in
>     Canada. I also have 2 x 5 port D-Link Gig switches, and 1 x 8 port
>     Linksys Gig switch (I know, not optimal), I think the 5 ports are around
>     $50.
>

> can i ask why not optimal?
>  (i'll prolly just need 1 5 port switch (internet or firewall been
> thinking of making my raid server a firewall also), mythtv box, gaming
> box, and a port for the wireless hub i have.

Not optimal in that I have to cascade the 2 5 ports off the 8 port, so I
lose ports that way. If I had been smart I would have bought a 16 port
to begin with, or at least two 8 ports. But I started with one 5 port,
then another, then the 8 port. I don't have GigE on everything, but I'd
rather be ready with the switch so that I can upgrade in stages.

Tom