[mythtv-users] Always prescaling theme images on startup

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 12:10:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

I found a way to go around very easily. Here is a tiny shell script that I use as an alias to mythfrontend :

-----
#!/bin/sh
xrandr -s 1280x720
/usr/bin/mythfrontend && xrandr -s 1680x1050
-----

I use 1280x720 because my screen is a 16:10 LCD with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

If you happen to have a smaller screen or TV, then use 800x600 before starting mythfrontend, and whatever you native resolution is after quiting mythfrontend (e.g. 1024x768).

This is really working nicely for me. Of course, the screen modes should be known by X. I had to define the 1280x720 screen mode in my xorg.conf but for that, just google around the C file gtf.c and compile it as described in its header. This tiny program generates modelines that you can  copy/paste into your xorg.conf. Very easy to use.

Of course, depending on the mythfrontend screen resolution, you need a theme that is either 800x600 (4:3) or 1280x720 (16:9). The themes with names ending with -wide (e.g. mythcenter-wide or minimalistic-wide) are of the 16:9 type.

I hope this will help.

J.