[mythtv-users] FCC blockouts

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:54:36 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    In San Jose I have a problem that shows up once in awhile with NBC.
> > It's in town on channel 3 and out of town on channel 28. If the two
> > show the same program at the same time then the one on channel 28 is
> > blocked out. Normally Myth will choose the one on channel 3, the
> > channel I asked it to record. In that case I'm always fine.
> > Periodically it will, for some reason I don't understand, choose the
> > one on channel 28 which is blocked and MYth records an hour of blue
> > screen messages.
> >
> >    Short of deleting channel 28 from my channel lineup is there a way
> > to tell Myth to choose channel 3 over channel 28 when the program info
> > is the same?
>
> On the first pass I thought you should delete 28 but as I
> look at it, I'm inferring that there is local programming
> on 28 (which you do receive and could record) that is not on
> 3. If so, then you do want to keep 28 but lower the channel
> priority as others have mentioned.
>
> There is a page for managing your channel priorities at TV
> Settings->Recording Priorities->Channel Priorities. Right and
> left arrows raise and lower the priority values. In current
> SVN Select, Info, Menu or sneezing brings up the channel
> wizard to edit any channel info within mythfrontend without
> having to run mythtv-setup.
>
> For info on how myth chooses a channel and input for a show, see:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6
>
> I would recommend that you lower the channel priority for 28.
> That says a show should be recorded on any other channel if
> available (presumably ch 3). You could raise the priority for
> channel 3 but that says channel 3 is a better than all other
> channels for all other shows and I don't think that is what
> you are looking for.
>
> --  bjm

Thanks to all that responded. I had to wait a few days until another
attempt to record in the wrong channel showed up. I then raised
channel 3's priority and looked at the results. It seems to have
worked very nicely. It even caught a case where channel 28 started
earlier and overlapped and correctly chose channel 3 as I would
prefer.

I will also investigate lower channel 28's priority also but this
seems to work for the problem I Was trying to solve.

Thanks,
Mark