[mythtv-users] Several issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 11 04:16:52 UTC 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 8:05 PM, Dennis Hand wrote:

> Your sound issue is due to KDE. The easiest fix would be to disable
> arts. This can be
> changed in Control Panel -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System.
> Uncheck the
> Enable the sound system box. You could also do what I do and that's to
> change your
> audio output device from /dev/dsp to ALSA:default. Also make sure you
> change /dev/mixer
> to "default" without the quotes. This way works well.

If you're using KDE then go to "Control Center", then "Sound and
Multimedia", then "Sound System". There is an item at the bottom
called "Auto-Suspend" which is normally set to 60 seconds.  Check the
box and drop this down to 2 or 3 seconds and KDE/arts will relinquish
the sound system to another app as long as that app doesn't try to
use sound before KDE gives it up.

This is not totally reliable, but if you're needing sound from KDE
for some reason it's a way to try and preserve that while allowing
other apps (like Myth) to have their turn at making noise.

If you don't need sound from KDE then either of Dennis' suggestions
would probably be better.