[mythtv-users] Whether to have to install video, sound and lirc drivers?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 11 13:22:07 UTC 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 6:53 AM, HHH wrote:

> No reponse,5555555:)
> Hope to get reply and help from yours about this following question!
> Thanks!

I really don't want to encourage "bumping", as it has no place on
this list, but:

> >I just want to try building and compiling mythtv, and I have not
> TV card also by hand now. I want to install with binary way, >and
> then remove mythtv and compile from source code!
> >Shall I have to install the Video card drivers and sound drivers??
> my copmuter with fedora core 6 is running well for video >and sound.
> >If I don't install the captuere card drivers and lirc, would there
> be any problem for me to finish the install according to >jarod's
> guide: http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php. ?????
> >Many thanks!

I'm not totally sure what you're asking. Obviously if you do not have
a capture card or a remote control then there is no point in
installing drivers for them, and you certainly don't have to. This
will of course restrict what Myth can do, but you certainly know that.

As for the "video and sound drivers", it depends on what you want to
do. Even without a capture card Myth can play back pre-recorded video
files. Your current video drivers may be "running well" for what you
are doing, but you might find them lacking for something like playing
back HD. Likewise your current sound setup might work well for system
notifications but not for multi-channel sound from a DVD.

An example would be if you are using the open-source "nv" driver for
an nVidia card it probably works OK for a web browser, but could not
use XvMC if you needed it, and the OpenGL performance would certainly
be below what the proprietary nVidia drivers could do.

I don't know what your system is now, or what you want to do with it
in  the future. I suspect the non-specific nature of your original
post is the reason you have not (yet) received a reply.