[mythtv-users] Do time servers have the correct time today?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 11 15:43:26 UTC 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Larry K wrote:

> Today, I checked and found that my myth box still has EST, not
> EDT.  I use ntp, so I didn't expect a problem with this.  My /etc/
> ntp.conf shows that I am using these time servers:
>
> # --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
> server 80.53.57.158
> server 192.117.105.69
> server 64.5.1.129
>
> My windows machine uses a time server as well ( Rocket.time), and
> it too is wrong.  My primary server in this case is:
>
> time-a.nist.gov.

This has nothing to do with your time servers, it has to do with your
timezone data.

For Linux you have to have the correct tzdata,  the exact method of
updating depends on your distro.

For Windows recent updates are supposed to have corrected that.

But the timeserver just gives you UCT, the correction to local zones
is done by your OS.

Some BIOS clocks try and automatically adjust for DST, they will
almost certainly be wrong today but once the OS is up it should
correct that.