[mythtv-users] Custom Schedule Help

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Mar 11 16:16:26 UTC 2007

On 3/10/2007 8:09 PM Bruce Markey said the following:

>I've read this several times but there is some key info
>missing that makes it hard to understand what you are
>trying to do and why. Here are my best guesses =).

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Thanks for your guesses.  :)

>Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>I have a backend with two tuners.  One is a PVR-250 connected to a
>>DirecTV box.  The other is a pcHDTV 3000 that receives ATSC over the air.
>>
>>My goal is to create custom schedules so that either card can be used if
>>

>I'm not sure this is correct. It sounds like your goal ought
>to be that want to correctly record shows like "Judge Joe Brown".
>Whether or not power search rules are needed remains to be seen.

Yes you are correct.  That's a much better way of putting it.

>If you do want to learn to make good use of Custom Record, see:
>
>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.5

I will give it another read.

>>it's free when recording regular local channels.  One such example is to
>>record Judge Joe Brown which is shown at 12:00 pm and again at 12:30 pm
>>on both channel 31 (KMAX) and channel 31_1 (KMAX_1).  Thus I have
>>created the following power search
>>

>A key piece of info here is if these have specific programids
>like EP2775792582 or 'generic' like SH2775790000. The SH%0000
>form just says that it is an episode of the series but doesn't
>say which episode.

I just checked the program table and found both.  If interested, you can
see the output of my query here:

http://drew.mykitchentable.net/Temp/Joe_Brown.html

>>program.title = 'Judge Joe Brown'
>>AND channel.callsign IN ('KMAX','KMAX-1')
>>

>Here I'm going to infer that there is a DirecTV channel that
>carries 'KMAX' and there is an ATSC channel with 'KMAX-1'. I'm
>going to guess that these both carry programming from the same
>TV station. However, myth doesn't know that. It looks like two
>stations such as ESPN and ESPN2.

Yes, DirecTV carries my local OTA stations.  My pcHDTV card can only get
the digital stations.  Thus KMAX is local channel 31 and is available
from my DirecTV receiver.  KMAX-1 is the OTA digital broadcast from the
same local station on 31_1.

>You may have thought that listing the two station would cause
>it to pick one else the other. This is not true. I matches any
>showings in any order. [BTW one of the Custom Record examples
>is "Match related callsigns". You could have used this to set
>"channel.callsign LIKE 'KMAX%'" but I don't think this is going
>to matter in the end. ;-]

I understand.

>>This almost accomplishes what I want.  However when the listing
>>information is such that MythTV can not tell they are the same show, it
>>

>I get specific episodes for this title but I'll guess yours are
>generic...
>

>>records both.  Is there some way to tell MythTV to record one or the
>>other?  I looked at the "Find and record one showing of this title each
>>day" but that doesn't work for me as I really want two showings.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>

>Yes. I think what you really want is to tell myth that both of
>these channels carry "KMAX". That will say that these are both
>from the same station and only one KMAX show at 12:00 then one
>at 12:30 need to be recorded. You can simply set an All rule or
>Channel for KMAX and it should just work. Which channel is chosen
>first then becomes the question.

Yes, you have guessed correctly again.  :)  So are you saying that I
should edit the sourcid field of the channels table so that my digital
stations match the regular local stations when programming is
identical?  I think that *IS* what I really want.  Is there anything I
need to do other than edit the table directly?

>My suggestion is to grab a beverage, sit back and read through this:
>
>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6
>
>You could tell it if you prefer DirecTV or ATSC for any shows
>by changing the number order of the inputs, input priority,
>channel priority or per rule preferred input. Each of these
>serves a different purpose but in any case, if the KMAX that
>you asked for is not available, it will fail over to the other.
>
>Hope this helps,

It helps a lot. In fact, your suggestion answers another question I
have.  I've been wondering if there was a way to prefer one tuner over
another for individual shows.  For example, when I know the show is not
in HD, I'd rather have the DirecTV tuner record the show as it doesn't
take up nearly as much disk space as the pcHDTV tuner.  I think the
above will solve that "want".

Thank you very much!

Drew

--