[mythtv-users] DVB-T & analog cards recommended?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Mar 11 17:44:02 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 06:10, Milos Prudek wrote:
> A popular choice for TV card these days is a card with two inputs: analog
> and DVB-T.
>
> I tried Leadtek DTV 2000H but it somehow disabled the installed Audigy LS
> soundcard,

Have you checked your device files? You'd need /dev/dsp* or /dev/adsp* for
most sound cards, plus a few others for controlling the mixer and other
functions. I know nothing about the card you mention, but my guess is that it
includes audio hardware that's accessed under Linux as a sound card, and that
its device driver got loaded before the driver for your Audigy sound card,
thus bumping up its device number (for instance, the Audigy's
original /dev/dsp1 became /dev/dsp2 when you installed the Leadtek, with the
Leadtek taking over /dev/dsp1). You can fix this sort of problem by building
some drivers (the Audigy's, in this case) into the kernel and leaving others
(the Leadtek's) as modules, by blacklisting certain drivers (the Leadtek's
audio driver) from loading and then loading them via startup scripts, or by
using udev rules to create new device filenames of your choosing and using
them (see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Device_Filenames_and_udev).

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com